Placement Requirements for Mathematics Courses
Math Placement Test in OAKS for All Students
All incoming students must take the Math Placement Test regardless of previous coursework at another institution. Incoming students must complete the Math Placement Test at least two weeks before they are scheduled to attend New Student Orientation. Please be aware that failure to take the test before orientation will delay your enrollment in a math course.
Approximately 4-5 days after receiving an email notifying you of your CofC permanent credentials you will be able to log in to MyCharleston to access the Math Placement Test.
In order to access the test:
- Use a computer with a cable modem or Ethernet connection. Allow 90 minutes to take the test. You must complete the test once you enter the test web site and you will not be allowed to re-enter the site at a later date. Make sure that your computer battery is charged and in good working order before beginning the test.
- Go to MyCharleston and log in with your MyCharleston log in and password.
- Click on the OAKS icon in the top right of the page. On the first page in your list of courses, you should see a link to the Mathematics Placement Test. Click on this link.
- Click on the "Begin the Math Placement Test Now" link at the bottom of the page to access the Math Placement Test. At the bottom of the next screen click on "Start Quiz". The next screen is a confirmation screen and you will be asked to click "OK" to begin.
After accessing the math placement test please note:
- You will only be allowed one attempt for the Math Placement Test.
- It is mandatory that you answer question #1. It gives the advisor information about your high school background. You cannot be advised if you do not answer this question.
- Calculators are not allowed.
- Each question has only one correct answer.
- After you have finished answering all of the 58 questions you should submit the quiz. If you submit the quiz before answering all the questions that you can answer you will not be allowed to go back to resubmit other answers.
- After successfully completing and submitting the Math Placement Test students can access their scores by clicking on the "grades" link on the navigation bar in OAKS and choosing "grades" from the dropdown menu. Math Department placement guidelines can be found at http://math.cofc.edu/placement-testing/placementguidelines.pdf.
If you still have any questions about logging in to MyCharleston or accessing OAKS contact email@example.com. If you have any questions about math content on the math placement test contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an answer within 2 business days.
The Math Placement Test is used only as an advising tool and is not used to award credit or skip or exempt courses. The College of Charleston has a six hour mathematics requirement. This requirement can be fulfilled through AP credit or coursework completed at the College or another accredited college or university. Please note that all transfer credits must be evaluated by College of Charleston before credit is awarded. College Algebra does not fulfill this requirement. Academic advisors will work with students to determine appropriate math courses based on the student’s placement score, transferred mathematics courses and the student’s academic interests.
All 100-level MATH courses have placement requirements based on the Placement Test: see the math course placement requirements and recommendations.
If you have further questions, contact the Associate Chair of the Mathematics Department, Debby Jeter.